Yield: about 13 cups Prep 30 mins Cook 30 mins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 2 1/2 cups chopped sweet green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 jalapeno chilies, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) corn nibblets
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) chunky tomatoes, chili style OR: 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) tomatoes, with onion and garlic
- 1 15 ounce can white beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
- 6 drops liquid hot-pepper sauce, or to taste
1. Mix 1 teaspoon of the cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt and chicken in bowl.
2. Heat half the oil in Dutch oven or pot. In 2 batches, brown chicken, 5 to 7 minutes, using remaining oil for second batch; remove chicken with slotted spoon to plate.
3. Add onion, green pepper, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, garlic, jalapeno, oregano and black pepper to pot; saute until vegetables are tender, 7 to 9 minutes.
4. Return chicken to pot. Add corn and tomatoes; simmer 15 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, beans and liquid hot-pepper sauce; simmer 5 minutes to thicken slightly.
- To freeze for Chili-Cheese Burritos (recipe on www.familycircle.com): remove 4-1/2 cups chili. Cool slightly. Spoon into freezer container or bag. Chill; label; freeze. Serve remaining chili, or cool slightly. Spoon into freezer container or freezer bag. Freeze as above.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 234, Fat, total (g): 6, chol. (mg): 58, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 21, fiber (g): 5, pro. (g): 25, sodium (mg): 804, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.