Caprese is a salad that includes the wonderful combination of fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil. For this recipe, the salad is served as sauce over pan-fried skinless, boneless chicken breast halves.
1. In a medium-size bowl, mix tomatoes, mozzarella, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper and chopped basil for the Caprese salad. Cover with plastic wrap and reserve.
2. Place flour on a large plate. Lightly beat eggs in a shallow bowl. Spread the bread crumbs on another plate.
3. Dip chicken first in the flour, then in the egg and finally into the bread crumbs, pressing to adhere. Sprinkle both sides with the remaining salt and pepper. Place on a large plate.
4. Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add chicken and cook about 5 minutes per side or until internal temperature reads 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Turn a few times, if necessary, to avoid burning.
5. To serve, spoon an equal amount of Caprese salad over each piece of chicken. Garnish with additional basil and serve with garlic bread, if desired.