Servings: 6 Prep 15 mins Cook 1 hr
- 6 large skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups white rice
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 packets Sazon seasoning mix
- 1 15 ounce can pigeon peas, drained, rinsed
- 1 4 ounce jar diced pimiento, drained
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1. Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Coat with flour. In heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches, about 3 minutes per side. Add additional tablespoon oil as needed. Remove from pot.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in rice to coat with oil.
3. Add chicken, broth, remaining salt and pepper, the oregano and Sazon seasoning; simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
4. Stir in pigeon peas and pimiento; simmer 10 minutes.
5. Serve directly from pot, if desired. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 547, Fat, total (g): 14, chol. (mg): 54, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 77, fiber (g): 6, pro. (g): 25, sodium (mg): 1297, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.