Servings: 4 Prep 15 mins Cook 25 mins
- 1 1/4 cups dried French green lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced fennel
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 12 ounce package fully cooked roasted garlic chicken sausage
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
1. In a medium lidded pot, combine lentils, bay leaf, thyme sprig and 6 cups lightly salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes until lentils are tender (they should be slightly firm, not mushy). Drain and remove herbs.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add fennel, onion, carrot and celery. Cook 10 minutes or until softened. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes. Stir in drained lentils, remaining 1 tbsp oil, the vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.
3. Prepare chicken sausage per package directions. Slice on the bias in 1/4-inch pieces. Serve over lentils. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
- Potassium-rich fennel offers a way to regulate blood pressure.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 453, Fat, total (g): 18, chol. (mg): 65, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 45, fiber (g): 11, pro. (g): 29, sodium (mg): 795, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.