Servings: 6 Prep 15 mins Slow Cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 Cubanelle peppers, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
- Sour cream or plain yogurt and cilantro pesto
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Make It Chili
1. Combine peppers and onion in slow cooker. Season chicken thighs with chipotle chile powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Place on top of peppers and onion. Add cumin seed and chicken broth. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Pesto
2. Just before chili is done cooking, combine cilantro, pumpkin seeds, garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil and lime juice in a mini chopper or with a mortar and pestle. Process until fairly smooth, scraping down sides often.
3. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Stir shredded chicken back into slow cooker along with remaining 1/4 tsp salt, hominy and cannellini beans. Spoon into bowls and top with sour cream or plain yogurt and cilantro pesto.
Tip For easy cleanup:
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 398, Fat, total (g): 18, chol. (mg): 148, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 26, fiber (g): 7, pro. (g): 39, sodium (mg): 886, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.