Servings: 6 Prep 15 mins Cook 37 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 5 ounces bone-in, skinless chicken thights
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups white long-grain rice
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 10 ounce package frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup cashews, coarsely chopped
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with 1/4 tsp of the salt and the black pepper. Cook chicken 4 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
2. Add onion to skillet and cook 3 minutes; add garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in rice, broth, 2 cups water, garam masala, ginger and remaining 3/4 tsp salt. Scrape up any browned bits from bottom of skillet. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to skillet. Simmer on medium-low, covered, for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Stir in peas and carrots; cook for an additional 5 minutes.
3. To serve, garnish with cilantro and cashews.
- Serve with this Red Onion Raita for an additional 30 centsper serving: Combine 1 container (6 oz) reduced-fat plain Greekyogurt, 1/2 cup diced red onion, a pinch each salt and pepper,and 1 tbsp lemon juice.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 528, Fat, total (g): 16, chol. (mg): 72, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 65, fiber (g): 4, pro. (g): 29, sodium (mg): 661, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.