Servings: 6 Prep 20 mins Bake 400°F 20 mins Cook 14 mins
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 skinless chicken thighs (about 6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger-root, chopped
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 sweet red pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a large, lidded Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook 5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
3. Add onion to Dutch oven and cook 3 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring to loosen any browned bits from bottom of pot. Stir in garlic, curry and ginger; cook 1 minute. Stir in broth, chick peas, tomatoes, red pepper, salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
4. Bring to a simmer and stir in rice. Arrange chicken in rice mixture. Cover and place in oven; bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
5. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 485, Fat, total (g): 16, chol. (mg): 86, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 51, fiber (g): 6, pro. (g): 32, sodium (mg): 793, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.