Yield: 11 cups Active Time 10 mins Total Time 50 mins
- 3 32 ounce cartons low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds chicken breast halves with bone
- 1 medium carrot, cut in thirds
- 1 medium onion, skin on, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, about 20 minutes or until chicken reaches 170 degrees F.
2. Remove chicken; let cool. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard skin and bones. Shred chicken. Strain broth through a fine mesh sieve and discard solids. Store broth and chicken separately.
Variation Chicken Noodle
Arroz con Pollo
- In a large pot, bring chicken base to a boil. Stir in 3 1/2 cups sliced carrots, 3 cups sliced celery, 6 oz. dried egg noodles, and 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper. Boil 8 minutes. Stir in reserved chicken and 2 Tbs. snipped fresh dill. Boil 2 minutes more or until noodles and vegetables are tender.
- Nutrition analysis per serving: 260 calories, 28 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 5 g total sugar, 243% Vitamin A, 10% Vitamin C, 467 mg sodium, 6% calcium, 15% iron
- Add 3 cups cooked brown rice, 12 oz. jarred roasted red peppers, drained and cut, and one 13 oz. bag frozen peas to chicken base. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes. Stir in reserved chicken and simmer 2 minutes more.
- Nutrition analysis per serving: 291 calories, 29 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 5 g total sugar, 39% Vitamin A, 51% Vitamin C, 543 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 17% iron
- In a large pot, combine half the chicken base, one 13.5 oz. can light coconut milk, and 1 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Stir in and 4 oz. dried pad thai-style rice noodles. Boil 5 minutes. Stir in reserved chicken and simmer 2 minutes more. Add 3 cups fresh baby spinach just before removing from heat. Serve with lime wedges.
- Nutrition analysis per serving: 179 calories, 13 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 0 g total sugar, 19% Vitamin A, 9% Vitamin C, 280 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 7% iron
- In a large pot, cook 6 slices bacon until crispy. Transfer to paper towels; crumble bacon. Discard all but 1 Tbs. bacon grease in pot. Add 2 cups chopped leeks. Cook, stirring occasionally for 6 minutes or until softened. Add chicken base, 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes, and half of the crumbled bacon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes. Add reserved chicken and simmer 2 minutes more. Top with remaining crumbled bacon.
- Nutrition analysis per serving: 199 calories, 27 g protein, 9 g carbohydrate, 6 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 3 g total sugar, 20% Vitamin A, 20% Vitamin C, 517 mg sodium, 4% calcium, 12% iron
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 62, Fat, total (g): 1, chol. (mg): 26, sat. fat (g): , carb. (g): 1, Monounsaturated fat (g): , Polyunsaturated fat (g): , Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): , sugar (g): , pro. (g): 13, vit. A (IU): 9, vit. C (mg): , Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 4, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 203, Potassium (mg): 87, calcium (mg): 5, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.