1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat 12-cup standard-size muffin pan with nonstick spray.
2. Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until almost crispy. Add scallions; cook 2 minutes or until softened.
3. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper in large bowl.
4. Beat together milk and egg in small bowl until well combined.
5. Make well in center of flour mixture. Add bacon and scallion mixture, any bacon fat from skillet, egg mixture, oil and cheese to well. Stir with wooden spoon just until flour mixture is evenly moistened and batter comes together. Spoon batter into prepared cups, dividing equally.
6. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden. Let cool in pan on wire rack for 2 minutes. Turn out onto rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.