- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup regular rolled oats
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots (2 medium)
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a small bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt, ginger, and nutmeg; set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl stir together the oil, sugars, egg, flour mixture, oats, carrots, and raisins.
4. Drop dough by slightly rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake each sheet for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies begin to brown. Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheets. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
5. For filling, in a small bowl stir together the cream cheese and maple syrup. Spread about 1 tablespoon filling on the flat side (bottom) of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies to make sandwiches. Wrap and chill up to 3 days.
- You can pare down the ingredient list by using 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. You can also omit the granulated sugar and use 3/4 cup packed brown sugar.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 12; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 262, Fat, total (g): 13, chol. (mg): 26, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 34, Monounsaturated fat (g): 7, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 3, fiber (g): 2, sugar (g): 20, pro. (g): 4, vit. A (IU): 1603, vit. C (mg): 1, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): , Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 8, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 164, Potassium (mg): 135, calcium (mg): 50, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.