- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3 - 4 pound boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 12 tostadas
- 3 cups Peach & Tomato salsa (see recipe below)
- Sour cream, crumbled Cotija or queso fresco cheese, and/or hot sauce (optional)
1. In a small bowl combine the chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, salt, oregano, pepper, cinnamon, and garlic. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork.
2. Place the pork shoulder in a 4-quart slow cooker and pour the orange juice and lime juice over the meat. Cover and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours or low for 10 to 12 hours, or until the meat pulls apart easily with a fork. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from cooker. Shred meat. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Add up to 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid to the meat to moisten.
3. To serve, spread 2 tsp. sour cream on each tostada. Add the carnitas on top and top with Peach & Tomato Salsa. If desired, top with more sour cream, cheese, and/or hot sauce.
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium peach, pitted and chopped
- 1 small avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 524, Fat, total (g): 25, chol. (mg): 145, sat. fat (g): 8, carb. (g): 29, Monounsaturated fat (g): 10, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 4, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 4, sugar (g): 8, pro. (g): 46, vit. A (IU): 1113, vit. C (mg): 22, Thiamin (mg): 1, Riboflavin (mg): 1, Niacin (mg): 11, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): 1, Folate (µg): 31, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 2, sodium (mg): 854, Potassium (mg): 1187, calcium (mg): 102, iron (mg): 4, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.