Yield: 48 jellies Prep 15 mins Cook 6 mins Stand 2 hrs
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups sugar plus more for coating
- 1 tablespoon finely minced red grapefruit rind
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed red grapefruit juice, strained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 3 ounce foil pouches liquid fruit pectin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 7 drops red food coloring
1. With cooking spray, lightly coat 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan; line with waxed paper; coat paper with spray.
2. In 4-qt. saucepan, combine 3 cups sugar, rind, juice and the 1/3 cup water. Bring to rolling boil; boil 3 minutes. Add butter. Boil 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add pectin, lemon juice and coloring; stir. Pour into prepared pan. Let stand 2 hours, until set. Unmold.
3. Cut jelly crosswise into 8 strips; cut each strip crosswise into 6 pieces. Coat with sugar. Store between sheets of waxed paper in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Makes 48 jellies.
Variation Lime Jellies:
- Follow directions above with the following changes: Substitute 2 teaspoons lime rind for grapefruit rind and 2/3 cup lime juice for grapefruit juice. Reduce lemon juice to 1 tablespoon; use green coloring instead of red.