1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch-round cake pans.Cake:
2. In bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. In saucepan, melt chocolate with milk over medium heat; let cool.
3. In large bowl, beat shortening and sugar until smooth, 3 minutes. Gradually beat in whites and milk mixture. On low speed, beat in flour mixture. Spread evenly in pans.
4. Bake in 350 degree F oven 20 minutes, until pick inserted in centers tests clean. Cool in pans on rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans; let cool. Slice each layer in half horizontally.Frosting:
5. Soften cream cheese and butter in bowl. Beat in sugar. Beat in chocolate, then cream, until thickened.
6. Place 1 cake layer on stand. Spread with 1/3 cup curd and 1/3 cup frosting. Continue stacking layers, curd and frosting. Cover outside of cake with frosting. Chill 1 hour. Makes 12 servings.