Use this simple cake decorating technique on any frosted cake. Vary the color of the decorating gel as you wish.
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 10-inch springform pan. Line bottom with waxed paper; grease paper; dust pan with flour.
2. Make Basic White Cake and pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in 325 degree F oven for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Unmold the cake and cool, following the recipe directions.
4. When the cake is almost completely cooled, prepare Butter Cream Frosting.
5. When the cake is completely cooled, slice off the rounded top of the cake if necessary to flatten (reserve any trimmings for snacking). Invert the cake onto serving plate. Spread the frosting over the sides and top of cake, using a long, thin metal spatula to smooth as evenly as possible.
6. Immediately after frosting the cake, pipe on the topping: Squeezing the decorating tube, pipe gel, beginning in the center of the cake, in a continuous spiral to the outer edge of cake, with about 3/4- to 1-inch space in between each spiral. Using a long wooden skewer or the dull back of a knife, draw the skewer or knife from the center of the cake through the spirals to the outer edge of the cake. Then draw the skewer from the outer edge back to the center. Repeat drawing lines, back and forth, around entire surface of cake, spacing as desired. Let cake stand until frosting is set. Makes 16 servings.