Servings: 6 Yield: 6 doughnuts Prep 10 mins Bake 325°F 13 mins
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Sprinkles, toasted coconut, mini chips, cinnamon-sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a 6-indentation doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, sugar, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract until smooth. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; whisk until smooth.
3. Spoon batter into a large resealable plastic bag. Cut off a corner and squeeze batter into prepared indents, about 2/3 full. Smooth tops. Bake at 325 degrees F for 13 minutes, until doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed. Cool in pan on rack 3 minutes, then carefully turn out onto rack to cool.
Variation For powdered doughnuts:
For white-frosted doughnuts:
- Place 1/4 cup confectioners sugar in a sifter and gently sift over cooled vanilla doughnuts. Flip doughnuts; cover with sugar.
For chocolate-frosted doughnuts:
- In small bowl, combine 1 cup of the confectioners sugar and 1 tablespoon of the milk. Stir until smooth. Dip cooled doughnuts into bowl and allow excess frosting to drip back into bowl. Transfer to rack. Top with sprinkles, coconut or mini chips, if desired. Transfer any extra frosting to a plastic bag.
- Combine remaining 1 cup confectioners sugar, the cocoa and remaining 2 tablespoons milk. Stir until smooth. Dip cooled doughnuts into bowl and allow excess frosting to drip back into bowl. Transfer to rack. Top with sprinkles, coconut or mini chips, if desired. Transfer any extra frosting to a plastic bag.
For cinnamon-sugar doughnuts:
- Snip small corner off bags of frosting. Decoratively drizzle over cooled doughnuts.
- Toss still-warm vanilla doughnuts in cinnamon-sugar to coat.