1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt onto a piece of waxed paper.
3. Beat together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture. Beat at medium-low speed, scraping down sides of bowl frequently, until mixture is smooth. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
5. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool completely.
6. Loosen sides of cake with metal spatula. Invert cake onto cutting surface. Using heart-shape cutters, cut out six 4-inch cakes and four 3-inch cakes. Reserve cake scraps for Fresh Fruit Trifle, (on www.familycircle.com). Makes 6 4-inch cakes and 4 3-inch cakes.