1. Cut off stem end and skin from pineapple. Slice off 2-inch piece from one end. Slice remaining large piece crosswise in 12 equal rings. Using a 1-inch cookie cutter, cut out the core from the rings and the 2-inch piece. Chop the 2-inch piece (you should have about 1-1/2 cups); place chopped pieces in a small saucepan and add the 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Simmer over high heat until liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons rum; simmer another 2 additional minutes. Remove from heat; let cool.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Combine remaining rum, the pineapple slices, brown sugar, cloves, cinnamon in plastic food-storage bag; seal. Refrigerate 2 hours to macerate.
4. Meanwhile, butter 10-inch round cake pan. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper; butter paper.
5. Thaw frozen yogurt for 15 minutes. Stir in half the cooled chopped pineapple mixture from saucepan. Cover; refreeze until solid.
6. Whisk together flour, 3/4 cup of the remaining granulated sugar, the baking powder and salt in medium-size bowl. Beat together the egg whites and cream of tartar with clean beaters in a clean large bowl until frothy. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar until soft peaks form. Fold in half the flour mixture.
7. In second clean large bowl, with clean beaters, beat heavy cream and vanilla until soft peaks form. Fold cream in 2 additions into egg white mixture, alternately with remaining flour mixture (end with flour). Fold in remaining half of chopped pineapple mixture. Transfer to prepared pan; spread evenly.
8. Bake in 350 degree F oven 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Run thin knife around inside of pan. Carefully invert cake onto rack. Let cool completely.
9. Drain marinade from pineapple slices in plastic bag into small saucepan (you should have about 1/2 cup). Boil marinade until reduced by half. Brush marinade over top of cooled cake. Sprinkle with nuts.. To serve:
10. Heat broiler. Spread pineapple rings in single layer on broiler pan. Broil 4 inches from heat for 7 minutes or until slightly browned. Cut cake into 12 equal wedges. Place 1 pineapple slice on a plate. Top with 1 scoop pineapple frozen yogurt (about 1/3 cup). Top with a wedge of cake. Serve immediately. Makes 12 servings.