1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8-inch-square baking pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper. Grease paper; flour paper and pans.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and 3/4 cup sugar onto waxed paper.
3. Beat eggs, vanilla and remaining sugar in bowl. Beat in flour mixture just until combined. Fold in whipped cream. Scrape into prepared pans.
4. Bake in 350 degree F oven 25 to 30 minutes, until tops of cakes spring back when lightly pressed. Cool pans on racks 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans to racks to cool completely.
5. Split cakes in half horizontally with serrated knife, using wooden picks as a guide to mark center of layer. Place 1 layer, cut side up, on serving plate. Spread with one-third of jam. Repeat with remaining layers and jam, leaving top plain. Frost sides and top with Whipped Cream Frosting (recipe below). Garnish with cherries and mint. Makes 16 servings.
1. Beat heavy cream and confectioners sugar to soft peaks.