1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place strawberries and their syrup in a medium-size saucepan. Heat over low heat until thawed and fluid.
2. In a large bowl, combine baking mix, sugar, lemon juice/milk mixture, melted butter and almond extract. Stir just until a soft dough forms. Drop batter into mounds on ungreased baking sheet, about 1/3 cup per mound. Sprinkle each with the chopped almonds.
3. Bake shortcakes at 350 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, stir together cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water. Add to strawberries and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute until clear and thickened. Remove from heat.
5. Once shortcakes are done, cool on a wire rack. To serve: Split cakes in half across the middle. Fill each with a heaping 1/4 cup strawberries and sauce. Top each with 1/4 cup whipped topping and replace tops. Makes 6 servings.