1. Mix 2 cups flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, buttermilk, eggs, shortening, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, allspice and cloves in large bowl. Beat on low just until smooth, constantly scraping sides of bowl, about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium; beat for 1 minute.
2. Stir in remaining 1 3/4 cups flour. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour.
3. To fry doughnuts, heat 3 to 4 inches oil in deep-fat fryer or saucepan large enough to allow 5 to 6 inches between top of oil and top of pan, over medium-high heat to temperature of 370 degrees F.
4. Roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/2-inch thickness. Using floured 3-inch doughnut cutter, or 3-inch and 3/4-inch plain round cookie cutters, cut out doughnuts.
5. Using metal slotted spoon, place doughnut holes in oil; as they rise to surface, turn frequently until evenly golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove holes with turner to paper toweling to drain. Repeat with doughnuts, frying 2 or 3 at a time.
6. Cool completely and coat with toppings, if desired. Makes 12 doughnuts and holes.For Finely Chopped Nuts or Toasted Coconut:
7. First spread doughnuts with Confectioners Sugar Glaze, then generously sprinkle with nuts or coconut.
1. Confectioners Sugar Glaze: Beat confectioners sugar and milk in small bowl until well blended and smooth, and good glazing consistency. Spread on doughnuts.
1. Combine sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and ground allspice and cloves. Place topping in separate plastic food-storage bag. Add doughnuts and shake to coat.