Everyday spice cake goes uptown when it's topped with whipped cream and adorned with homemade praline candies.
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Line with waxed paper; coat paper.
2. Into large bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, salt and cloves.
3. In clean bowl, beat butter until smooth. Add both sugars, molasses and vanilla; beat 1 minute. Scrape down bowl. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. On low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, ending with flour. Spoon into pan; smooth top.
4. Bake in 325 degree F oven until toothpick comes out clean, 80 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack 15 minutes. Remove side of pan. Invert cake; remove bottom, paper. Invert onto rack; cool.Topping:
5. In bowl, beat cream and sugar until medium peaks form. Spread over cake. Top with praline. Makes 16 servings.Praline:
6. Toast hazelnuts on baking sheet in 325 degrees oven until lightly colored, 7 minutes. Rub in towel to remove skins; coarsely chop. Line large baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil. In small saucepan (not nonstick), combine sugar, water and salt. Heat over medium-high heat until bubbly; simmer until light golden, 5 minutes. Stir in hazelnuts until coated. Carefully spread onto baking sheet. Let cool completely, about 15 minutes. Break into small pieces; use 1/2 cup on Spice Cake, reserve extra for snacking. Makes 16 servings.