These icing encased sponge cakes always make an attractive addition to the refreshment table at graduations, showers, or any celebration. In addition to pink, you can tint the frosting yellow or pale green.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 15-1/2 x 10-1/2-inch jelly-roll pan. Line with parchment or waxed paper; grease paper.
2. Whisk together cake flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl.
3. Beat yolks, 1/3 cup granulated sugar and vanilla in bowl until thick and lemon-colored, about 1 minute.
4. At low speed, beat cake flour mixture into yolk mixture.
5. Beat egg whites in medium-size bowl until foamy. Slowly add remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter. Spread batter evenly over prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden and firm. Cool on rack 10 minutes. Invert onto rack. Peel off paper.
7. Melt apple jelly mixture in small saucepan. Spread over top of cake.
8. Cut lengthwise into eight 1-1/4-inch strips. Cut each strip crosswise into twelve 1-1/4-inch squares. Spread cut surfaces with remaining preserves. Place on rack over paper.
9. Mix confectioners sugar and 3/4 cup water in bowl. Add 2 tablespoons water as needed for coating consistency. Using forks, dip half the cake pieces in glaze. Decorate with candied flowers as desired.
10. Tint remaining glaze with pink food coloring. Dip remaining cake pieces into glaze. Decorate as desired.