1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line inside of an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-5/8-inch loaf pan with nonstick aluminum foil.Cake:
2. In medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
3. In large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in brown sugar, maple syrup and maple flavoring until fluffy, 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in flour mixture. Fold in grated pears and 1/2 cup of the chopped pecans. Scrape batter into pan. Sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1/4 cup pecans.
4. Bake in 350 degree F oven until top is browned and toothpick comes out dry, about 1 hour or 1 hour 5 minutes. If nuts become too dark, tent pan loosely with foil. Let cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Lift foil with loaf from pan, and remove foil. Transfer loaf directly to wire rack to cool. Place rack over a sheet of waxed paper.Drizzle:
5. In a small bowl, mix sugar, maple syrup and 1 tablespoon water. Divide mixture in half (each a little more than 1/3 cup). Stir maple flavoring into one half; stir 1/4 teaspoon water into second half (thin with more water, if needed). Transfer the two drizzles into separate small resealable plastic bags. Snip a corner off both bags and top loaf with both drizzles. Let dry at least 10 to 15 minutes. Store at room temperature in airtight container for up to 1 week. Makes 8 servings.