Makes: 16 servings at 68o each. Prep: 1 hour 45 minutes. Bake: at 325 F for 55 minutes.
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 10-inch springform pan. Line bottom with waxed paper; grease paper; dust pan with flour.
2. Make Basic White Cake and pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in 325 degree F oven 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Unmold and cool, following recipe directions.
4. When the cake is almost completely cooled, prepare Butter Cream Frosting.
5. When cake is completely cooled, slice off rounded top if necessary to flatten (reserve trimmings for snacks). Invert cake onto large serving platter. Spread frosting over sides and top of cake, using long, thin metal spatula to smooth evenly.
6. Immediately after frosting, using small strainer, sift a heavy coating of confectioners sugar over top.
7. Press 1-1/2 cups chopped pistachios around side of cake.
8. Arrange some of remaining 1/2 cup of pistachios in 2 straight lines, using edge of chefs knife to keep nuts in place, across top of one side of cake. Arrange a third line diagonally across the two.