Servings: 16 Yield: 16 squares Prep 15 mins Bake 375°F 25 mins
- Shirlee Bumpass inherited this 100-year-old recipe from both her grandmothers. And even if its more a cake than a traditional cookie, it still has a place at her Houston swaps.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup boiling water
- Royal Icing for bows
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour 8- or 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, soda and salt into a bowl. Beat sugar, shortening in a second bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs, then molasses. Beat in flour mixture alternately with boiling water until blended. Pour into pan.
3. Bake at 375 degrees F, 25 to 30 minutes.
4. Cut in squares; pipe on bows. Makes 16 squares.