Cake, cookies, and ice cream. With these goodies in the ingredient list, this minty frozen dessert is bound to be a hit.
1. Cut mint chocolate chip ice cream in half crosswise. Return half to freezer. Soften other half of ice cream in bowl until spreadable consistency, similar to peanut butter. Line 8 x 8 x 2-inch metal baking pan with plastic wrap. Spread softened ice cream into pan. Freeze 1 hour.
2. Crush 12 creme wafers in plastic bag. Transfer fudge topping to microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high until heated through but not hot, about 30 seconds. Pour half the topping (about 3/4 cup) into small bowl; add crushed cookies.
3. Coat 9 x 9 x 2-inch square metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom and sides with plastic wrap. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper; coat paper with spray.
4. Line edges of 9-inch pan with cookies, alternating remaining creme ones with oval-shaped sandwich cookies; 1 oval cookie will remain.
5. Pour mixture of fudge topping and crushed cookies into bottom of cookie-lined pan; spread evenly to touch cookies. Freeze 20 minutes or until topping is almost solid.
6. Turn cake on long side, with top of loaf to right. Trim crown to level. Slice cake lengthwise into 4 equal slices, 1/2 inch thick.
7. Remove 2 pans from freezer. Invert ice cream square into cookie-lined pan; remove wrap; spread ice cream slightly toward edges. Freeze 45 minutes. Top with 2 cake slices, side-by-side. Freeze 45 minutes. Heat remaining fudge topping until fluid but not hot. Spread over top of cake layer in pan. Freeze 45 minutes.
8. Remove remaining ice cream from freezer; transfer to bowl and stir until spreadable. Spread over fudge topping layer in pan. Top with remaining cake. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze overnight or until firm.
9. Remove plastic wrap from top of ice cream cake. Invert cake onto platter. Remove pan, plastic wrap and waxed paper. Crumble last mint cookie; sprinkle on top of cake. Makes 16 servings.