1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Line bottom with waxed paper; grease paper. Flour the inside of the pan and paper; tap out excess flour.
2. Begin to melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. When the butter is about half melted, remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the lemon zest; stir until the butter is completely melted.
3. Stir sugar, lemon juice and salt into butter mixture in saucepan. Stir in eggs.
4. Add the baking powder and baking soda in pinches, breaking up any lumps with fingers; stir to thoroughly combine. When the mixture is foaming slightly, stir in the flour just until well blended. Stir in the milk until smooth.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan; spread evenly and smooth the top.
6. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto rack; remove waxed paper. Cool cake completely.
8. When cake is completely cooled, cut crosswise into 3 equal pieces.To prepare Filling:
9. Thinly slice about 1 cup of strawberries. Cut remaining berries in half. Beat together heavy cream, 10X sugar and vanilla in small bowl until soft peaks form.
10. Spread about 3/4 cup of whipped cream over the top of one of the cake layers. Top with a layer of 1/3 cup strawberry slices. Garnish with mint leaves. Makes 12 servings.