No, it's not a purple cake. Dried lavender is added to a basic pound cake recipe. The first warm spring afternoon is the perfect time to bake this cake with sweet floral nuances.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-5/8-inch loaf pans.
2. Mix flour, baking soda and salt in medium-size bowl. Pulse 1/2 cup of the sugar with the lavender in a food processor until lavender is ground.
3. In large bowl, beat butter, lavender-flavored sugar, remaining 1-1/2 cups sugar and vanilla until fluffy, 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. In small bowl, combine sour cream and milk. On low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture with sour cream mixture in 3 additions, beginning and ending with flour. Divide between pans.
4. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 55 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool on rack 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and let cool completely.Drizzle:
5. Microwave water and lavender for 30 seconds on high power. Let steep 5 minutes. Strain out lavender flowers and discard.
6. Once cake is cool, whisk together 4 teaspoons of the lavender water and the confectioners' sugar. Drizzle over both loaves. Slice and serve. Makes 2 loaves, 12 slices each.