1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 9-inch round layer-cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and salt in bowl.
3. Beat together eggs and granulated sugar in large bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add oil in steady stream, beating on medium speed. Add applesauce, orange juice, vanilla and crystallized ginger until well blended.
4. On low speed, beat in flour mixture just until blended.
5. Divide batter between prepared pans.
6. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centers of cakes comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on rack for 15 minutes. Gently turn cakes out onto wire rack and remove pans. Cool cakes completely.
7. Beat heavy cream in chilled bowl until foamy. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until frosting consistency. Reserve 1/2 cup of whipped cream.
8. Place one cake on serving platter. Spread 1 cup whipped cream over top of layer. Place second layer on top. Cover top and sides of cake with remaining whipped cream. Spoon reserved 1/2 cup whipped cream into pastry bag fitted with rosette tip. Pipe rosettes on top. Insert gingersnap quarters into rosettes. Refrigerate until serving.