1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 straight-sided 9 x 2-inch-round cake pans; line with waxed paper.Cake:
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt onto waxed paper. Beat butter in bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in 1-1/4 cups sugar until fluffy. Beat in yolks, one at a time. Beat in vanilla, almond. On low speed, alternately beat in flour and milk in 3 additions.
3. Beat whites in bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Scrape into prepared pans, spreading level.
4. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool pans 10 minutes. Unmold cakes on racks.Icing:
5. Sift sugar and cocoa into large bowl. Add butter, shortening, salt, egg powder, water, coffee and vanilla. Beat on high until fluffy, adding more coffee if needed.
6. Stack cake layers, filling with icing. Frost cake sides with icing.