Makes about 21/2 dozen tea cakes.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking cup pans (you need 36 1-1/4-inch aluminum foil baking cups total).
2. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in bowl.
3. Beat butter, sugars, eggs and coconut flavoring in bowl until fluffy and smooth. Stir in flour mixture until blended. Stir in 1 cup coconut flakes.
4. Divide dough among baking cups; sprinkle with remaining 2 cups coconut flakes, dividing equally among cups. Top with cherries, if desired.
5. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden. Tent with foil. Bake 5 minutes more. Cool on wire rack. Store in airtight container.