1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Unfold 1 pastry sheet. Cut sheet in half across width. With lightly floured rolling pin on lightly floured surface, roll one half into 15 x 7-inch rectangle, the other half into 14 x 6-inch rectangle. Fold larger rectangle lengthwise in half. Along fold, cut parallel slits, 1/2 inch apart, 2-1/2 inches long; unfold.
3. Place the smaller rectangle on an ungreased baking sheet. Top with half of the cherry pie filling, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Sprinkle with half the almonds and half the chips. Brush edges of pastry around filling with some of the egg. Top with the remaining, larger slit pastry; align and press edges to seal. Brush top with egg; sprinkle with half the sugar.
4. Repeat with remaining pastry sheet, pie filling, almonds, chips, egg and sugar. (The pastries can be assembled, tightly wrapped and frozen for up to 1 month. To bake, let thaw in refrigerator overnight.)
5. Bake in 375 degrees F oven for 35 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Transfer to wire rack and let cool 15 to 20 minutes to serve warm. Or let cool to room temperature. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.