Sugar and cinnamon make a perfectly delectable topping for this any-occasion dessert recipe.
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
3. Beat butter and 1 cup of the sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in sour cream and vanilla.
4. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into batter until smooth.
5. Spoon half of the batter into pan.Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, the cinnamon and nuts (if using) in a small bowl. Sprinkle 2/3 of it over the batter. Top with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture.
6. Bake at 325 degrees F for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.