This black and white cake offers simplicity in appearance and flavor. The chocolate sponge cake is filled with whipped cream. It's basic, but oh so delicious!
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line with parchment or waxed paper; coat paper. Dust a clean kitchen cloth with 2 tablespoons of the confectioners' sugar.
2. Sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. In a medium-size bowl, beat egg yolks, 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla on medium speed about 1 minute until well blended. Reduce speed to low and add in cocoa mixture; set aside.
4. In another clean medium-size bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Increase speed to high; gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar, about 3 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Fold one-third of the whites into egg mixture; then fold in remaining whites.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
6. Bake cake at 350 degrees F for about 23 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed. Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Then, invert cake onto sugar dusted cloth. Remove pan and paper and dust with 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar. Beginning at a short end, roll up cake, enclosing towel. Place cake, seam side down on a cooling rack. Cool completely.
7. In a medium-size bowl, beat heavy cream and remaining 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla on high speed about 3 minutes until stiff peaks form. Unroll cake and spread with whipped cream.
8. Carefully roll up cake without towel. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar before serving.