Yield: 5 waffles Prep 25 mins Cook 4 mins per waffle
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups pitted dark sweet cherries OR: 1 package (12 ounces) frozen dry-pack cherries
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey OR: cherry jam
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
1. Combine flours, pecans, baking powder, nutmeg and salt in large bowl. Make well in center.
2. Whisk butter and sugar in medium-size bowl until blended. Whisk in eggs and milk. Add to well; stir to blend. Let stand 5 minutes. Preheat waffle iron. Prepare Cherry Sauce:
3. Combine cherries, maple syrup and honey in small saucepan. Bring to simmering. Stir in cornstarch mixture; cook, stirring, 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat.
4. Coat the waffle iron lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon the batter onto the iron. Cover and cook 4 minutes or until browned. Remove waffles; keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with sauce. Makes 5 waffles (7-inch) and 2 cups sauce).
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 390, Fat, total (g): 16, chol. (mg): 100, carb. (g): 53, pro. (g): 11, sodium (mg): 410, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.