1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat 12 standard-size muffin-pan cups with nonstick vegetable-oil cooking spray or line cups with paper liners.Muffins:
2. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
3. Mix together orange juice, melted margarine and egg in a medium-size bowl.
4. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture. Add the orange juice mixture to the well. With a wooden spoon, stir the liquid into the flour mixture just until combined and the flour mixture is evenly moistened. Gently stir in the drained mandarin orange segments.
5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, dividing batter equally, about 1/2 cup each.Topping:
6. Gently stir together flake coconut, sugar, margarine and orange rind in a small bowl until well blended. Sprinkle topping evenly over top of each muffin.
7. Bake in 375 degree oven for 18 to 21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers of muffins comes out with a few crumbs clinging to the pick.
8. Let muffins stand in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Gently remove muffins from pan, loosening sides with small metal spatula if necessary. Let muffins cool upright on wire rack. Makes 12 muffins.