Makes: 2 loaves (8 slices each) for $1.09. Prep: 25 minutes. Rise: 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Bake: at 400 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
1. Prepare Basic White Bread dough.
2. After punching dough down, on lightly floured surface with rolling pin, roll out dough to 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 6 equal strips. Braid 3 strips together to make braided loaf. Place on greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining strips of dough to make another loaf.
3. Brush each loaf with egg mixture. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm place, away from drafts, until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle with remaining ingredients.
4. Bake loaves in 400 degrees F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Loaves will sound hollow when lightly tapped. Transfer breads to wire rack to cool completely. Slice to serve.
1. Stir together 3 cups flour and the salt in a bowl.
2. Sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup warm water in measuring cup; gently mix to moisten yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes to soften; mixture will be foamy.
3. Pour yeast mixture into flour. Add remaining 1 cup warm water; stir to form ball. If too dry, add a little more water; if too wet, add a little more flour.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, 10 minutes.
5. Grease bowl with butter or margarine. Place dough in bowl; turn to coat. Cover bowl with clean towel or plastic wrap. Let dough rise in warm place until doubled in volume, 1-1/2 to 2 hours. To test, stick finger in dough; dent should remain when finger is removed. Punch dough down.