1. Combine 1/4 cup of warm water, the brown sugar and yeast in small glass measuring cup; stir to dissolve yeast. Let stand 10 minutes or until the mixture is foamy.
2. Stir together flour, salt, rosemary, pepper, remaining 3/4 cup warm water and cottage cheese in large bowl. Pour in yeast mixture. Stir together with wooden spoon until well combined.
3. Using mixer fitted with dough hook, knead dough 8 minutes. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead by hand 2 minutes. (To knead dough without electric mixer, knead on lightly floured surface 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.) Place dough in greased bowl; turn to thoroughly coat dough. Cover bowl with cloth towel or lightly oiled sheet of waxed paper. Let rise in warm place away from drafts until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
4. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Roll with lightly floured rolling pin or pat dough out into 15 x 9-inch rectangle. If dough pulls back, let it rest for 10 minutes.
5. Lifting from short side, fold dough into thirds; place, seam side down, in nonstick 11-1/2 x 5-1/2 x 3-inch loaf pan with decorative braided bottom or 2 smaller regular loaf pans (see Note). Cover with cloth towel or oiled sheet waxed paper. Let rise until doubled in volume, 30 minutes.
6. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. For crispier crust, place heavy pan with 2 to 3 cups water on floor of oven.
7. Bake bread in 400 degrees F oven 30 minutes, or until loaf sounds hollow when thumped and golden brown (check after 20 minutes; if too brown, loosely cover with foil).
8. Cool bread in pan on rack 10 minutes. Remove bread to rack; cool completely. If giving decorative pan, place bread, decorative bottom up, in pan and wrap as desired.