Servings: 4 Prep 20 mins Bake 400°F 1 hr Cook 11 mins
- 2 large baking potatoes, about 1 pound, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 tenderloin steaks, about 1 inch thick, 4 ounces each
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Steamed asparagus, optional
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Layer potatoes in prepared dish, in an overlapping fashion, alternating with onion slices. Sprinkle with garlic and spoon 1 cup of the broth over top. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Keep warm.
3. In a large nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Season steaks with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, turn and top each steak with 1 tablespoon cheese. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook 2 minutes or until internal temperature of steak registers 145 degrees F. Remove to a plate and loosely cover.
4. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil and mushrooms to skillet; cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Stir in remaining cup broth and vinegar; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve steaks with mushrooms, potatoes and asparagus, if desired.
Tip Wine List<br>Cupcake Prosecco
Midas Soave 2009
- Creamy, with notes of white peach, grapefruit and melon. Enjoy as an aperitif; pairs well with salty foods. ($14)
Rioja Vega 2009
- Light-bodied white wine from the Veneto region of Italy. Crisp, with aroma of wildflowers and lemon and just enough acidity. Serve chilled. ($14)
- Fresh and fruity young wine made from Tempranillo grapes; from Spain's esteemed Rioja region. Complements beef and strong cheeses. Serve just slightly chilled. ($12)
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 448, Fat, total (g): 18, chol. (mg): 100, sat. fat (g): 6, carb. (g): 33, fiber (g): 4, pro. (g): 40, sodium (mg): 731, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.