Servings: 6 Prep 15 mins Soak overnight Cook 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 pound black beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 sweet red pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- Chopped cilantro, avocado, tomato and sweet red pepper for garnish (optional)
1. Cover beans with water and soak overnight, or follow quick-soak method on packaging.
2. Heat oil in a large pot over mediumhigh heat. Add sausage and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in broth, 2 cups water, soaked beans, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Simmer, covered, 60 minutes or until beans are tender; add red pepper during last few minutes of cooking.
4. Remove about 1 cup of the mixture to a blender and puree; return to pot.
5. Garnish each serving with chopped cilantro, avocado, tomato and sweet red pepper, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 358, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): 11, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 52, fiber (g): 18, pro. (g): 24, sodium (mg): 531, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.