Servings: 4 Prep 25 mins Cook 9 hrs (low) or 5 hours (high)
- 1 cup dry red wine OR: beef broth
- 2 tablespons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf marjoram, crumbled
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 1/2-inch pieces rutabaga
- 4 beef shank steaks (about 3 pounds), about 1-1/2 inches thick
- 2 leeks, quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
1. Combine wine, tomato paste, basil, marjoram, garlic and salt in slow-cooker. Add rutabaga; top with beef, leeks and carrots.
2. Cook, covered, on low heat for 9 hours, or on high for 5 hours, or until beef is fork-tender.
3. Place steak and vegetables in serving dish. Pour cooking liquid into small saucepan. Skim off fat. Whisk together the flour and 2 tablespoons water in small bowl until smooth. Whisk in a little of the cooking liquid. Whisk flour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture bubbles and thickens, about 3 minutes. Spoon sauce over meat and vegetables. Prepare Gremolata:
4. Finely chop together zest, garlic and parsley. Sprinkle over serving dish or individual servings. Makes 4 servings.
Variation Conventional Cooking:
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in ovenproof Dutch oven. Add beef; cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove meat. Cook leeks, rutabaga and carrot in 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven 5 minutes. Add 1 cup water, beef, wine, tomato paste, basil, marjoram, garlic, salt. Bring to simmering. Cover. Bake in preheated 325 degree F oven for 3 hours or until beef is tender.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 485, Fat, total (g): 25, chol. (mg): 94, carb. (g): 27, pro. (g): 29, sodium (mg): 730, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.