Servings: 8 Prep 15 mins Cook 55 mins
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound beef chuck for stew, cut into1-inch chunks
- 1 package (1 pound) classic coleslaw mix
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup long-grain white rice
1. Heat oil in 6-quart pot over medium heat. Add beef; saute until browned, about 6 minutes. Add coleslaw mix and onion; cook, covered, 4 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, beef broth, water, brown sugar, lemon juice and salt.
2. Bring to boiling. Add rice; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, 45 minutes or until beef and rice are tender. Spoon into soup bowls. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 246, Fat, total (g): 6, chol. (mg): 35, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 32, fiber (g): 4, pro. (g): 16, sodium (mg): 1012, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.