Everyone knows red wine and beef go together. For this recipe, red wine is used to marinate sirloin steak. It's also the principle ingredient in a savory sauce to serve with the grilled meat.
1. Heat grill or broiler.Sirloin:
2. In resealable plastic food-storage bag or glass dish, combine red wine and sirloin; seal bag. Marinate steak at room temperature for 15 minutes. Remove sirloin from bag. Season on both sides with salt and pepper.Sauce:
3. Meanwhile, in small saucepan, whisk together wine, broth, mustard, sugar, onion powder, salt and pepper. Bring to simmering over medium-high; simmer until reduced to about 1-1/4 cups, 20 minutes.
4. Grill or broil sirloin for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on thickness. Flip steak over; grill another 3 to 5 minutes or until internal temperature registers 145 degrees F on instant-read thermometer for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board; let stand 5 minutes.
5. Stir flour-water mixture into red wine sauce; simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes.To serve:
6. Cut sirloin across grain into thin slices. Drizzle with red wine sauce. Serve warm. Makes 4 servings.