Servings: 6 Prep 20 mins Cook 50 mins
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds stew beef (1/2-inch cubes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet green pepper, large dice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2 small zucchini (3/4 pound total), halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup pitted black olives, halved
1. Mix flour, salt, and black pepper in plastic food-storage bag. Add beef; toss.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in 6-quart large, deep pot over medium-high heat. In 2 batches, brown beef, about 5 minutes per batch. Remove with slotted spoon to bowl. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pot. Add sweet pepper, onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes.
3. Add beef and any accumulated juices, tomatoes, broth, wine, bay leaf, thyme and rind; scrape up browned bits from bottom of pot with wooden spoon. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes or just until beef is tender.
4. Add zucchini and olives; simmer, covered, 10 minutes, until zucchini is tender. Remove bay leaf. Serve stew. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 347, Fat, total (g): 21, chol. (mg): 71, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 17, fiber (g): 3, pro. (g): 24, sodium (mg): 908, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.