Servings: 6 Prep 10 mins Marinate 3 hrs or overnight Grill 16 mins
Marinade and Steak:
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon liquid hot-pepper sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 flank steak (about 1-1/2 pounds) cut across grain into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 large sweet onion (3/4 pound), sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rings
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 large sweet green pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 2 ripe tomatoes (1 pound), cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican-flavored cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 12 flour tortillas (fajita-size), warmed according to package directions
Make It Marinade and Steak:
1. In small bowl, stir together lime juice, oil, hot-pepper sauce, garlic, oregano, sugar and black pepper. Place steak strips in large plastic food-storage bag. Place onion and peppers in second bag. Divide marinade between 2 bags, about 1/3 cup in each; seal bags and turn to coat steak and vegetables. Refrigerate to marinate several hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
2. Heat broiler or outdoor grill. Remove the meat and vegetables from plastic bags and marinade; discard any remaining marinade.
3. Broil or grill onions and peppers about 4 inches from heat 10 minutes or until tender, turning over about halfway through cooking time. Add meat and broil or grill about 6 minutes or until internal temperature registers 145 degrees F on instant-read meat thermometer, turning over halfway through cooking time. Arrange meat and vegetables on a platter. Garnishes:
4. Serve meat and vegetables with bowls of tomato, cheese, sour cream and guacamole and a plate of warm tortillas.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 774, Fat, total (g): 28, chol. (mg): 59, sat. fat (g): 7, carb. (g): 91, fiber (g): 7, pro. (g): 38, sodium (mg): 785, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.