Servings: 8 Yield: 6 cups (enough for 2 pounds of pasta or 8 servings) Prep 10 mins Cook 1 hr 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef OR: 1/2 pound each ground beef and ground pork
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes, in puree
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried leaf basil, crumbled
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 12 minutes or until golden. Add meat; brown 5 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up with a wooden spoon.
2. Add wine, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, bay leaf, sugar, salt and pepper, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pot with a wooden spoon. Bring to bare simmer; cook 1 hour or until thickened.
3. Remove bay leaf and discard. The sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated, covered, for up to 3 days or frozen, tightly sealed, for up to 3 months. Makes about 6 cups (enough for 2 pounds of pasta or 8 servings).
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 247, Fat, total (g): 16, chol. (mg): 42, carb. (g): 13, pro. (g): 12, sodium (mg): 530, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.