Servings: 8 Prep 15 mins Cook 1 hr 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 pounds beef chuck for stew, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1. Heat oil in 6-quart pot. Add almonds; saute until golden, about 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon.
2. Add beef to saucepan; saute until browned, 6 minutes. Add onion; saute until slightly softened, 8 minutes. Stir in broth, wine, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper; simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
3. Add potatoes, fruit; simmer, covered, 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
4. Mix water, flour in cup until smooth. Stir into beef; cook to thicken, 3 minutes. Discard cinnamon. Top with almonds.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 434, Fat, total (g): 15, chol. (mg): 71, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 49, fiber (g): 6, pro. (g): 27, sodium (mg): 424, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.