1. Season beef with 1/4 teaspoon of the onion salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Saute meat for 1-1/2 minutes on one side; turn and saute for 1-1/2 minutes more. Remove; keep warm.
2. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook on medium heat for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally so garlic does not burn. Add red wine; bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes.
3. Mix 1/4 cup of the beef broth with the cornstarch. Set aside.
4. Add remaining broth, tomato paste, onions, carrots, bay leaf, thyme and remaining 1/4 teaspoon onion salt. Bring to a simmer; cover and cook for 10 minutes until carrots and onions are tender. Stir occasionally.
5. Stir in cornstarch mixture and simmer for 1 minute until thickened. Return meat and any juices to skillet and simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove bay leaf.