Servings: 6 to 8 Prep 15 mins Slow Cook 6 hrs to 7 hrs on low-heat setting or 3 to 3 1/2 hours on high-heat setting
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck shoulder steak, thinly sliced across the grain
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 red sweet pepper, sliced
- 1 cubanelle pepper or banana pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1 large onion, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 - 8 8 inches flour tortillas, warmed
- 6 - 8 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 - 8 teaspoons light sour cream
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
1. In a 4-quart slow cooker combine steak, diced tomatoes with green chilies, sweet pepper, cubanelle pepper, jalapeno, onion, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder until well mixed. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
2. Use a slotted spoon to place the beef, peppers, and onion onto tortillas. Top each fajita with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese, 2 slices of avocado and 1 teaspoon of light sour cream. Serve with lime wedges.
Handling Hot Peppers:
- One 14.5-oz. can plain diced tomatoes can be substituted for the diced tomatoes with green chilies if less heat is desired.
For Easy Cleanup:
- Because hot chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid contact with chiles as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the chile peppers, wash your hands well with soap and water.
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 397, Fat, total (g): 14, chol. (mg): 69, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 36, Monounsaturated fat (g): 7, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 4, sugar (g): 4, pro. (g): 32, vit. A (IU): 1215, vit. C (mg): 36, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 6, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): 1, Folate (µg): 44, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 4, sodium (mg): 528, Potassium (mg): 784, calcium (mg): 212, iron (mg): 4, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.