Beer imparts a wonderful flavor to this classic stew recipe, and it helps tenderize the meat on the beef short ribs.
1. Season beef with salt and pepper. Coat with 1 tablespoon flour.
2. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Working in batches, add beef; cook to brown well on both sides. Remove from pan.
3. Pour off fat from pan. Lower heat to medium. Melt butter. Add onions; cook, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan with spoon, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Sprinkle in remaining flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add beer, consomme, bay leaf, thyme and reserved beef. Cover; cook at slow simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes.
5. Add carrots and parsnips; cook 15 minutes. Add potatoes and salt; cook 1 hour or until vegetables and beef are tender. Discard bay leaf.